The CFA® Institute Research Challenge Vietnam 2019 – 2020, hosted by CFA Community Vietnam, has officially been launched in 2 cities of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
The CFA® Institute Research Challenge is an annual global competition that provides university students with hands-on mentoring and intensive training in financial analysis and professional ethics. Each student will be tested on their analytical, valuation, report writing, and presentation skills. They gain real-world experience as they assume the role of a research analyst.
With the desire to create an intellectual playground and provide students with opportunities to put intensive financial knowledge into practice, CFA community Vietnam has constantly made efforts to organize and engage students in our local competition. The competition has become a bridge connecting Vietnamese students with regional and international finance students.
In the 4-months competition, university teams compete on researching and analyzing a publicly-traded company – known as the “Subject Company”, then write a research report on their assigned company with a buy, sell, or hold recommendation and present their reports to a board of professional analysts. The subject company for the 2019-2020 season is FPT Corporation (HSX: FPT).
Below is the competition schedule:
- Kick-off Bootcamp: 7/9/2019
- Subject company Analyst meeting: 14/9/2019
- Bloomberg Research Training: 21/9/2019
- Presentation Training: 9/11/2019
- City Semi-final presentation: 30/11/2019
- National Final Presentation: 14/12/2019
With 19 university teams, this year’s competition officially broke the record for the highest number of participating teams in Vietnam. The winning university team will join the regional competitions – APAC in Seoul, Korea on March 2020.
The list about joining teams is the following:
1. Foreign Trade University Hanoi
2. National Economics University
3. Banking Academy
4. FPT University
5. Posts and Telecommunications Institute of Technology
6. VNU University of Economics and Business
- Ha Noi University
- RMIT University Vietnam’s Hanoi campus
1. Foreign Trade University HCMC
2. Hoa Sen University
3. Banking University HCMC
4. International University – VNU HCM
5. University of Economics HCMC
6. University of Economics & Laws HCMC
7. Ton Duc Thang University
- RMIT University Vietnam’s Saigon South campus
- Eastern International University
- College of Economics
- Vietnamese German University
Officially been hosted since 2011, CFA Institute Research Challenge Vietnam is known as a prestige competition in financial and investment. This year, the competition has taken many initiatives in its formats such as adding some online sections, organizing extra training on financial modeling and presentation skills to improve the quality of the competition as well as help contestants to gain more knowledge and practical experience. In addition, the competition has an additional city semi-final round in Hanoi and HCMC. This means that more teams will gain a chance to present their findings and investment recommendations to a panel of judges.