The Research Challenge is a competition in which student teams from area business schools prepare an equity research report on an assigned company and present their findings to a panel of investment industry experts.
This annual educational initiative is designed to promote best practices in research among the next generation of analysts through hands-on mentoring and intensive training in company analysis. It is intended to complement the university curriculum by simulating the real-world experience of an equity analyst.
The Challenge spans 3 months and consists of the following components:
- Analysis of a Public Company
- Mentoring By a Professional Research Analyst
- Writing an Equity Research Report
- Presentation of Research to a High-Profile Panel of Experts
Each university chooses one team of 3–5 members to represent it. Both graduate and undergraduate students are eligible. Students must be enrolled in the current term at the university at the time of the local Kickoff Meeting. CFA Charterholders and students who have extensive prior work experience in fundamental company analysis are not eligible.
The regional competitions and the global final are hosted by CFA Institute. The winner from each local competition advances to regional competitions. The winner from each regional competition will advance to the global final.
Timeline of CFA Institute Research Challenge 2022-2023:
- Each university chooses a team (3-5 team members) as its representatives to participate in the competition
- 31/08/2022: Deadline for Nominated Team Submission
- 05/11/2022: Announcement of National Top 8
- Top 8 will prepare and submit the 2nd report and video presentation. National top 4 will be announced in 03/12/2022
For further information, visit https://www.cfainstitute.org/researchchallenge