Vietnam Forecast Dinner 2018 Panelists | From Regional Chief Economists & Portfolio Managers
Vietnam Forecast Dinner 2018 panelists are renowned regional chief economists, portfolio managers, advisors and thought leaders.
Vietnam Forecast Dinner 2018 Panelists
Dr. Can Van Luc
Chief Economist – BIDV; Director – BIDV Training School
- Dr. Can Van Luc is currently Chief Economist of the Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam (BIDV) cum Director of BIDV Training School. He is a Member of the Bank Board’s Risk Management Committee and Organizational & Strategy Committee. He is also a Member of the National Fiscal and Monetary Policy Advisory Council since June 2016 and a Member of Vietnam National Committee for Pacific Economic Cooperation (VNCPEC) since September 2016.
- Prior to his current position, Dr. Can Van Luc has gone through various positions at the Bank Head Office, including Officer of Foreign Credit, Guarantee services, Trade finance; then Head of International Banking, Head of Securities Department, Director of Trade Finance Center, Deputy General Manager of Transaction Center I, General Manager of Transaction Center III – BIDV, and Senior Advisor to the Group Chairman, Senior Executive Vice President and Director of BIDV Training School.
- Prior to his return to Vietnam in early 2009, he was a senior fellow at Harvard Kennedy School and a Hubert H.Humphrey Fellow (under a Fulbright exchange program) in the US during 2007-2009. In 2008, he was a visiting scholar at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in Washington D.C and Federal Reserve Bank of Boston. In 2003, Dr. Luc Can was the only Vietnamese to have received the prestigious Australia-Asia Award for his doctorate program. He was also Chairman of the Vietnamese Graduates from Australia Club (VGAC) during 2001-2003. He was involved in teaching (banking-finance courses) for Master’s programs at Monash University (Australia) and Boston University (the US) during
2004-2008. He is also a frequent guest speaker for various TV reports, issues on economics, banking-finance, and economics/finance conferences.
- He has a number of articles published in the Journal of Financial Services Research, Journal of Asia-Pacific Economy, China Economic Review, and Journal of Asset Management.
- Dr. Can Van Luc holds an MBA and a Doctor of Business Administration – DBA (major in Finance) from Monash University, Australia, both under the Australian government scholarships. He has received numerous achievement awards for his outstanding academic performance in his university and MBA studies, and for his management role at BIDV.
Andrew Limond, CFA
Investment Manager – Panah Fund of AIMS Asset Management Sdn Bhd (AIMS)
- Mr. Andrew is an expert with diversified experience in asset management and macro strategy in Asian market.
- He is currently an investment manager for AIMS Asset Management where he manages the Panah Fund, an equity long-short fund with macro hedge, focusing on Asian market. The fund was launched in 2013.
- Before that, he spent 3 years from 2010 to 2013 working as Macro Strategist at Lloyd George Management where he helped run portfolios and implement new investment risk and stock-screening systems for the firm. Prior to that, he worked for Ballingal Investment Advisors (Hong Kong) from 2007 to 2010, as Analyst and then Assistant Portfolio Manager on the BIA Pacific Fund.
- He graduated from Oxford University in 2002 and is a CFA Charterholder.
Dr. Le Anh Tuan
Deputy CIO and Head of Research – Dragon Capital Management
- Dr. Tuan is an expert in economics and investment in Vietnam market.
- He has held several senior positions at Dragon Capital and is currently the Deputy CIO and head of Research. He joined Dragon Capital in 2008 as Chief Economist, and in 2010 was appointed Head of Research. In this double capacity, Mr. Tuan supervises virtually all of Dragon Capital’s effort on top-down and bottom-up investment analysis. He serves on the Investment Committee of several funds managed by Dragon Capital and by its domestic asset-management subsidiary VFM.
- In addition to his duties at Dragon Capital, he has led numerous technical assistance projects for the firm with the State Bank of Vietnam, the Ministry of Finance, and the State Treasury, all having a focus on macro policy and capital-markets development.
- He has also been a lecturer at the University of Economics, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Mr. Tuan received a PhD in Economics from Pennsylvania State University in 2008.
Le Thi Hong Thai, CFA
Managing Director – Chubb Life Fund Management
- Thai has nearly 10 year of investment experience with particular focus on Vietnam market.
- Ms. Thai spent 4 years in Singapore for tertiary education under a Singapore government scholarship and another 5 years working there before moving back to Vietnam in 2012. She had a Bachelor’s degree with Honors in Finance from National University of Singapore and became a CFA Charterholder in 2011.
- Her first job was with Bloomberg Singapore where she took care of Vietnam market in an analyst then business development role. She started the investment career with a Hong Kong hedge fund investing in Vietnam in 2011 and continued playing an advisory role for their Vietnam portfolio.
- Once settled in Vietnam, Ms. Thai joined Chubb Life (previously known as ACE Life) Vietnam as Investment Head in Jan 2012 before becoming the Director for their Chubb Life Fund management company set up in 2014.